Daily Wanderlust: Brasov, Romania

Written by on March 13, 2012 in Daily Wanderlust, Escapes - 24 Comments

Brasov, Romania is where I got back in touch with my travel bliss. Thanks to staying at a superfly hostel,  a roadtrip complete with steering wheel death grips and an afternoon black out, this quaint town in the Transylvania region of Romania forever captured my heart.

Diana Edelman is a travel writer and expat currently residing in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In 2010 she quit her job in PR to go on a solo backpacking adventure and tackle her 30-Life-Crisis. After seven months abroad, journeying throughout Europe and Africa, she returned to America and relocated to Las Vegas. Following a year-long stint back in PR, she once again quit her job to follow her dreams; this time her journey took her to the elephants and Elephant Nature Park where she is involved with raising awareness about responsible elephant tourism. Recently, Diana was named a finalist in the Destinology Travel Bloggy Awards for travel writing. She has been a regular contributor to Viator and recently served as the Las Vegas contributor for OneTravel.com and CheapOair.com. Her work has appeared in print and online, including The Huffington Post, Matador Network, Travel + Escape, Vegas Seven, World Nomads and more.

24 Comments on "Daily Wanderlust: Brasov, Romania"

1. Miruna March 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm · Reply

I must agree with you, Brasov is beautiful!
    Great photo!

Miruna

• Diana March 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm · Reply

Brasov is such a cute town! I loved my time there.

2. Anil March 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm · Reply

Great shot and not one that’s easy to capture! Usually at this point I’m still tying to take my camera out and then…too late :/

• Diana March 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm · Reply

Thank you, Anil! I have about 20 different shots of this scene. The kids kept at it with the birds for a good 5/10 minutes!!

3. Turtle March 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm · Reply

What a beautiful photo!

4. Iulian Sirbu March 13, 2012 at 11:15 pm · Reply

I visit Brasov almost every month, on my way to the Carpathian Mountains. Sibiu is also a beautiful town, close to Brasov. Did you visit Sibiu also?

• Diana March 14, 2012 at 2:17 pm · Reply

I drove through Sibiu, but spent most of my time in Brasov. Those mountains are spectacular!

5. Bobbi Lee Hitchon March 13, 2012 at 11:21 pm · Reply

Awesome shot! I love Romania.

• Diana March 14, 2012 at 2:17 pm · Reply

Thank you! I love Romania, too. It is such an amazing country!

6. Angela March 14, 2012 at 2:12 am · Reply

This is one beautiful shot!

• Diana March 14, 2012 at 2:15 pm · Reply

Thank you, Angela! I had about 20 from the same few minutes of watching the kids love those pigeons!

7. Sophie March 14, 2012 at 3:46 am · Reply

I was in Brasov in 1998 and remember feeling I’d been transported to the Alps of 100 years ago. Loved the place. Thanks for bringing it back for a few minutes :)

Also, what a great capture; perfect timing.

• Diana March 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm · Reply

Thank you! Brasov really does transport you to another world! I love the old building, the narrow streets, the main square where everyone hangs out!

8. Cole @ Four Jandals March 14, 2012 at 4:51 am · Reply

Cannot wait to visit Romania and that entire side of Europe in the next year. So many places to see and so little time!

• Diana March 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm · Reply

I really enjoyed my time in Romania. The people were really amazing. The prices were very budget-friendly, and the country was beautiful.

9. D.J. - The World of Deej March 16, 2012 at 8:21 am · Reply

Awesome shot!

10. Candice March 23, 2012 at 3:38 pm · Reply

LOVE that pic

• Diana March 27, 2012 at 5:10 pm · Reply

It’s one of my favorites. Thank you!! :)

11. Shanna Schultz April 4, 2012 at 10:06 am · Reply

We are considering heading to Romania in August. Any other tips about things that we should not miss?

• Diana April 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm · Reply

Brasov and Kismet Dao!!!

12. Damian Galvin April 16, 2012 at 1:36 am · Reply

Great thought starter Diana. I too came to brasov for a life change, but i stayed. I had a dream job designing gorgeous british sprtscars, living in Shakespeares town, but was bored with the rat race & merrygoround that has become british culture (work, tesco, soap opera, news on terror, stop, repeat forever) & i threw my towel in to completely start a new life in Brasov. After 4 & half years, I still love it & it slowly gets better by the year. Big changes have been made since your picture was taken, in restoration, infrastructure etc & thankfully, unlike my homeland, no decline in social order, respect, crime etc. Every time i visit the uk each month, the news is full of a teenage stabbing, ‘supposed’ terrorost attack or other horible crime. Romania the only country i can recall, of 59 travelled to, where everyone says hello, good bye, good apetite, good days work, success etc at every point where it is appropriate. You could be in a shop, office,mthe street, outside a club etc & passers by will always say those things. Its their way of showing respect, which is the country’s greatest jewel & what holds society together. Not all cities are so attractive to visit though. Brasov is amoung the few.

• Diana April 18, 2012 at 5:45 pm · Reply

I absolutely understand your boredom with your culture. I felt the same way, which is why I quit my job in the career of my dreams, to travel and get a hold of myself. While I came back to America, it was apparent my life and desires didn’t fit into that mold anymore. Romania was one of the countries I would return to. Particularly Brasov. The people were so welcoming, the towns I stopped in were beautiful. I’m glad you’ve found a home in Transylvania!

13. Mary @ Green Global Travel May 9, 2012 at 9:11 am · Reply

Great photo. I love the way the girl’s arms mimic the pigeon’s wings!

• Diana May 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm · Reply

Thank you!! She was a lot of fun to shoot!