“Black Out” in Brasov

Written by on May 6, 2010 in Blog, Romania, Travel - 22 Comments

It was a rainy Saturday afternoon in Brasov. Benjamin, Tommy and I went into square with the intention to buy wood for an afternoon barbecue (wood was a bus ride away), but ended up just eating our way through the city.

We sat together, enjoying our “fast food” sandwiches when we saw the neon sign blinking in a window above our heads: “Legal Weed.”

We looked at each other.

Whaaaaaaat??

We needed to investigate further.

The three of us went upstairs to the “spice shop” to ask questions.

No, weed was not legal. BUT, this … spice concoction … this was legal.

We looked at each other again.

“Should we try it?” I asked.

“It is 50 lei,” the clerk informed us.

Again, an exchange of looks.

Really? Were we going to do this?

I thought back to the days in America when I would read in magazines about the “herbal” mixtures that gave you a natural high, like pot … I was always curious but figured if it made you feel “high,” then like pot, it would be illegal.

And here we were, in Romania. And, well, why the hell not try it?

We pooled our lei together and purchased the tiny bag of Black Out and went back down the stairs to a bench to roll it up.

Then, we lit it. And it tasted awful. Worse than a million stale cigarettes. Worse than any thing I had ever inhaled in my life.

Ugh. What a waste of money.

We all sat around, laughing at our ridiculousness and the sheer stupidity of our impromptu purchase, as we quickly finished the tiny joint. Then, we got up to go back to the square.

And, that’s when the shit hit us.

Wham.

“I feel like I am walking and walking but not moving anywhere,” Benjamin said.

He was right. I looked ahead. The millions of bricks making up the square seemed to be never-ending … and we didn’t seem to be moving any closer to where we wanted to be.

We weren’t high … but we weren’t normal.

For about 20 minutes the three of us just sat … mesmerized by children playing with the hundreds of pigeons in the square, and half shocked the Black Out had impacted us at all since we assumed it was just a sham.

Then, it was over and I got up to head to the supermarket to get food.

Later in the night, when Chris (stay tuned … ) and I were headed to a hookah(sheesha to any non-American readers) bar, a guy told me that the stuff we bought was really bad for us, a bunch of chemicals, and we shouldn’t smoke it ever again.

Good thing that was already my plan.

Diana Edelman is a travel writer and expat currently residing in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In 2010 she quit her job in PR to go on a solo backpacking adventure and tackle her 30-Life-Crisis. After seven months abroad, journeying throughout Europe and Africa, she returned to America and relocated to Las Vegas. Following a year-long stint back in PR, she once again quit her job to follow her dreams; this time her journey took her to the elephants and Elephant Nature Park where she is involved with raising awareness about responsible elephant tourism. Recently, Diana was named a finalist in the Destinology Travel Bloggy Awards for travel writing. She has been a regular contributor to Viator and recently served as the Las Vegas contributor for OneTravel.com and CheapOair.com. Her work has appeared in print and online, including The Huffington Post, Matador Network, Travel + Escape, Vegas Seven, World Nomads and more.

22 Comments on "“Black Out” in Brasov"

1. Em May 6, 2010 at 4:59 am · Reply

Ha ha!! I had a feeling that the post wasn’t going to be about a power cut, despite the title. Much more entertaining but, as you say, not to be repeated!

• dtravelsround May 6, 2010 at 10:52 am · Reply

NEVER to be repeated. But, damn funny that it happened.

2. Annabelle May 6, 2010 at 8:36 am · Reply

I like to read you! I’ve been in Brasov but never saw this neon sign which is a good thing finally.

3. Cat Lu May 6, 2010 at 12:01 pm · Reply

Hahaha, I have been reading all of your entries, D. Very entertaining! Had to comment on this one… Keep having fun!

• dtravelsround May 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm · Reply

I’m so glad you’ve been reading them!! It means a lot to me. Will do!!

4. Maggie May 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm · Reply

This entry cracked me up! Reminds me of the Happy Pizza I sampled in Cambodia …

5. Candice May 7, 2010 at 9:45 am · Reply

Hahahaha dude, refer to my last blog entry about the Amsterdam space cake. We really are soulmates.

• dtravelsround May 7, 2010 at 11:09 am · Reply

Dude, last time I was in Amsterdam I thought I was going to die. I credit the space cake for that. The city is deadly. Fun. But deadly! Can you send me the link?

6. Paul January 22, 2011 at 9:50 am · Reply

Hey!

I am form Brasov, but currently I am living in Germany.
    It is nice to read that you had fun in Romania!
    Keep up the traveling, and yes that shit was bad for you! :))

• The Adventures of D January 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm · Reply

Hi Paul! Thanks for the note. I will never touch that stuff again!!!! And, I had a wonderful time in Romania.

7. Laura April 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm · Reply

Wow! I guess I’m glad you weren’t ripped off and it did something, but I would have been so nervous! My friend did hallucinogenic drugs with a shaman in the Amazon and had one of the scariest experiences I’ve ever heard. That pretty much sealed my fate of never trying random things abroad!

• The Adventures of D April 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm · Reply

Wow! I don’t think I could ever do that. Scary! I wasn’t nervous … I guess I just assumed it was the same crap they sell in America, but no one tries.

8. Erica April 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm · Reply

Isn’t smoking in general really terrible for you? -Not that I haven’t been to my fair share of hookah bars. :P I’m all about trying new things!

• The Adventures of D April 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm · Reply

Oh lord, yes! Love hookah bars. I haven’t been to one since I was in Turkey. Missing them!!

9. ayngelina April 20, 2011 at 7:17 am · Reply

I’m up for trying anything abroad, it’s part of the experience.

10. Federico April 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm · Reply

Have been to Brasov too, but never saw that sign. Good thing it didn’t get any worse than that!

11. Mica April 25, 2011 at 8:05 pm · Reply

Holy crap! But hey at least you got to try it!