Exploring America

Written by on June 6, 2012 in 30 Life Crisis - 24 Comments

So, what does one do after making the decision to leave America and become an expat?

Plan an epic, massive, awesome road trip.

That’s right.

My time as a Las Vegan is coming to a bittersweet end in a mere few days (the movers come Monday, June 11). Then, I’m off on a cross-country road trip adventure before I head to Thailand and Elephant Nature Park.

Who is coming along for the ride?

First, Dave, of What’s Dave Doing, will be joining me.

He arrives Sunday to Las Vegas and gets to deal with an emotional D for a few days. (Yes, I feel bad but he has promised alcohol to take the sting of leaving my cats and driving north on 15.)

Where are we going?

No trip through the gorgeous southwest is complete without a stop in Utah at one of the stunning national parks. For this journey, we are parking it for two nights in Zion.

I’ve lived in the area for a total of five-plus years, so Zion isn’t new to me. But, it is to Dave! While I’m not going to be doing any death defying Angel’s Landing adventures, I do plan on re-visiting this gorgeous enclave of nature … and chilling by our hotel’s pool for a bit.

Then, we’re off to Colorado and TBEX — with a stopover to chill out in Denver and possibly drink some Fat Tire.

After getting some travel blogger conference time in, Dave and I will part ways and the passenger seat will open up to one of my favorite travel bloggers in the universe, Erica from Over Yonderlust.

#WinosontheRoad

Like Dave, we’ve never actually met in person, but through e-mail and phone conversations, I know I already adore the girl.

After Colorado, we are heading to Omaha (someplace in middle America, you’re welcome), then Chicago to see one of my best travel girls, Katie, and to make sure Erica crosses off “eating a hot dog” in the Windy City from her bucket list.

From Chicago, we are going to bop on down to Louisville, Kentucky to spend a few days with a good friend of mine, don fascinators and check out the Churchill Downs and even embark on a little bourbon tour.

Then, we’re in the home stretch and headed to Maryland to drop off my car, go sailing with my dad and raise a glass in our nation’s capitol.

What does this mean for the site? Well, for the next few weeks, as I pack, move and road trip it, there will be some guest posts to entertain. Then, once I’m back in the 301, it will be back to a more normal routine again! And, likely, tales of our epic adventures!

Want to follow along on the journey? Be sure to check out #winosontheroad on Twitter, Instagram and our blogs.

Have you done a cross-country road trip through America? Any places we should stop along the way? Leave a comment below and share your story!

Diana Edelman is a travel writer and expat currently residing in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In 2010 she quit her job in PR to go on a solo backpacking adventure and tackle her 30-Life-Crisis. After seven months abroad, journeying throughout Europe and Africa, she returned to America and relocated to Las Vegas. Following a year-long stint back in PR, she once again quit her job to follow her dreams; this time her journey took her to the elephants and Elephant Nature Park where she is involved with raising awareness about responsible elephant tourism. Recently, Diana was named a finalist in the Destinology Travel Bloggy Awards for travel writing. She has been a regular contributor to Viator and recently served as the Las Vegas contributor for OneTravel.com and CheapOair.com. Her work has appeared in print and online, including The Huffington Post, Matador Network, Travel + Escape, Vegas Seven, World Nomads and more.

24 Comments on "Exploring America"

1. Sky June 6, 2012 at 9:50 am · Reply

Sounds like a great adventure! I can’t think of a better way to spend your last few weeks in the States. I’ll be doing a cross-country trip myself in September as I drive from PA to CA!

• Diana June 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm · Reply

That is one heck of a trip!! Enjoy and be safe!

2. Britany June 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm · Reply

What a perfect way to say goodbye to America! I will be at Tbex next week as well, can’t wait!

• Diana June 12, 2012 at 5:58 pm · Reply

Very excited for TBEX and to be around like-minded travelers!

3. D.J. - The World of Deej June 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm · Reply

Sounds like a great time…good too see plenty of the homeland before heading off!

• Diana June 12, 2012 at 5:58 pm · Reply

Can’t wait! Already in Zion and loving it! It helps that my road trip buddy rocks!

4. Christy June 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm · Reply

Mmm.. Fat Tire. This sounds like a great trip. Sailing too?

• Diana June 12, 2012 at 11:25 am · Reply

Yup! A little bit of everything all smushed into a few weeks of awesome!

5. Jeanette June 15, 2012 at 8:31 am · Reply

Road trips are sweet, but when you travel with cool peeps, they really ARE EPIC.

For your NEXT American road trip check out: Flagstaff, AZ, Austin, TX, Savannah, GA, Portland, OR, – for quaint/cool urban stops. DC, Philly are favorite stops of ours as well in addition to the biggies: NYC & SF!

THEN, if you like kitche/Americana; Graceland in Memphis, the President Heads in Houston, Salvation Mt. at Slab City, Big foot in the Northwest, Hike to the Hollywood sign in LA, see Coney Island and walk the Brooklyn Bridge . Middle America and the South West are all littered with crazy road side attractions.Giant bugs, giant chairs, mini museums, giant Jesus statues (not just in Brazil), land locked lighthouses… real ‘Rednecks’ on rt. 66 in Ok…

Camp in the Ozarks (Arkansas) – amazing natural springs! See Yosemite (CA) or just below in Kings Canyon (less touristy /no res needed). Mt. Shasta and the Redwoods are good summer camp spots too!

Drives: California Coast (Start in Big Sur) up through the Oregon coast (all the way to Astoria – where The Goonies was filmed) That drive is out of this world! Oh and the Red Rocks in northern Arizona and Utah drive/hike/bike there, too. Drive from upstate New York to DC in the fall for very nice view of the changing colors.

See monuments AT NIGHT – across the board. Empire State (NYC) Bld @ 2am. Lincoln Mem. (DC) after dark, Mt. Rushmore (SD) lit up at night.

So much to see and just not enough time!
    Cheers, Jeanette

• Diana June 19, 2012 at 11:47 am · Reply

Jeanette, this is great!! I’ve been through Flagstaff, and am from DC. :) The Americana tour sounds like a lot of fun! Will pull this back up for the next road trip I take!! :)

6. Ali June 15, 2012 at 8:57 am · Reply

Sounds like a fun road trip! I haven’t seen much of the middle of the US, though I did once drive from Atlanta to the Grand Canyon with some friends. I-10 through southern Texas is creepy at night. Anyway, I hope you’re having a great time!

• Diana June 19, 2012 at 11:46 am · Reply

I did I-40 to Atlanta from the west. I think driving in Texas on those highways is creepy in general! The trip is great so far!!

7. Caanan @ No Vacation Required June 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm · Reply

We stopped by Zion (and tackled Angel’s Landing) on our way to TBEX from Las Vegas. We can compare notes in Keystone!

• Diana June 19, 2012 at 11:45 am · Reply

You two are rock stars. I am NOT. <3

8. Christy @ Technosyncratic June 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm · Reply

I love road trips! Make sure you have a lot of good music on your ipod and plenty of snacks. ;) Enjoy TBEX!

• Diana June 19, 2012 at 11:45 am · Reply

For sure!!

9. Angela June 16, 2012 at 8:47 am · Reply

Good luck on your big trip, looking forward to hearing everything on your adventures!

• Diana June 19, 2012 at 11:44 am · Reply

Thank you so much! The trip has been awesome so far!!

10. Scott - Quirky Travel Guy June 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm · Reply

Nice meeting you this weekend Diana… glad to see you and Erica are coming to Chicago! You should really try the Wiener Circle for that hot dog if you want a memorable experience :)

• Diana June 19, 2012 at 11:44 am · Reply

So nice to meet you, too!! My friend is taking Erica and I on a Chicago tour of awesome — will mention the hot dog stop for sure!!

11. Callie June 23, 2012 at 3:09 pm · Reply

LOVE the travel-blogger collaboration. Hope you’re having fun on the road and drinking lots of wine/beer/bourbon/whatever!

• Diana June 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm · Reply

It is heaps of fun!! I don’t think there are many people I could do a road trip with … Erica is a blessing!!

12. Jade Johnston - OurOyster.com June 27, 2012 at 4:56 am · Reply

Sounds fun! Can’t wait for your posts!

• Diana June 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm · Reply