Volunteer with rescued cheetahs at Namibia’s Cheetah Conservation Fund

Written by on March 11, 2012 in Guest Posts, Responsible Tourism - 26 Comments

Editor’s Note: This is a guest post by Natasha Zapata and a part of the Travel Bloggers Giveback series. To learn more about TBGB, please visit its Facebook page. If there is an organization you would like to promote with a guest post, please contact me.

“The fastest animal on Earth is running out of time” reads the brochure from the Cheetah Conservation Fund (CCF). But, according to zoologist Dr. Laurie Marker, we can all help change that.

Dr. Marker founded Namibia’s CCF as a result of her travels earlier in her life. In 1977, she traveled to Namibia to conduct research on the re-introduction of captive cheetahs into the wild. It was then she learned of the conflict between livestock farmers and cheetahs. Hundreds were being killed annually. In 1990, she returned and founded CCF to work towards their survival in the wild.

Today, CCF is an internationally recognized research and education center that has become a model for predator conservation worldwide.

Volunteering at CCF

Two years ago, I was privileged to visit the CCF to see firsthand the incredible work Dr. Marker, staff and volunteers perform. There’s is a holistic approach to keeping the wild cheetah from extinction. They teach farmers ways to prevent predation of livestock, educate people about the importance of predators in a functioning ecosystem and are restoring and opening up habitat for cheetah and their prey.

My visit to CCF was exciting and educational. I helped feed the resident cheetahs and was “introduced” to three orphaned up and coming “Ambassador” cheetah cubs. I toured the hospital, research lab, classrooms and education center. I remain a loyal supporter.

The reality for wild cheetahs

Estimates for cheetah remaining in the wild are about 10,000 – a decrease of approximately 90 percent in 100 years. Wild cheetahs have already become extinct in 16 countries where they once roamed. In 20 years, wild cheetahs could become extinct.

It’s no wonder Dr. Marker and CCF are working so hard.

To give cheetahs a fighting chance, the organization operates the Livestock Guarding Dog program which enlists special breeds of dogs to protect livestock and keep cheetahs from attacking. It also manufactures BushBlok® , a clean-burning wood fuel briquette made from acacia bush which is overtaking the cheetah’s habitat. At the same time, CCF has also created a genetics lab, conduct census’ to maintain accurate numbers, and care for more than 50 orphaned and injured cheetahs.

Dr. Marker has received numerous awards and honors, the latest being the 2010 Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement, and after spending time as a volunteer at CCF, it is easy to see why. This remarkable woman has dedicated her life to not letting these “spots” disappear in the wild.

You can help

Aside from donations and a wish list of items needed, there are other ways to help cheetahs with CCF. The organization offers two and four week volunteer stints. For more information, please visit their Web site to learn more.

About the Author: Natasha Zapata is an animal-lover who is a docent at the Staten Island Zoo.

Diana Edelman is a travel writer and expat currently residing in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In 2010 she quit her job in PR to go on a solo backpacking adventure and tackle her 30-Life-Crisis. After seven months abroad, journeying throughout Europe and Africa, she returned to America and relocated to Las Vegas. Following a year-long stint back in PR, she once again quit her job to follow her dreams; this time her journey took her to the elephants and Elephant Nature Park where she is involved with raising awareness about responsible elephant tourism. Recently, Diana was named a finalist in the Destinology Travel Bloggy Awards for travel writing. She has been a regular contributor to Viator and recently served as the Las Vegas contributor for OneTravel.com and CheapOair.com. Her work has appeared in print and online, including The Huffington Post, Matador Network, Travel + Escape, Vegas Seven, World Nomads and more.

26 Comments on "Volunteer with rescued cheetahs at Namibia’s Cheetah Conservation Fund"

1. Bret @ Green Global Travel March 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm · Reply

I love cheetahs: As I said in a recent post, they’re my favorite among the big cat species, and seeing them in the wild in South Africa remains among my favorite travel memories ever. I was unaware that the CCF existed, so thanks for bringing my attention to what sounds like a great non-profit. We’ll share this with our friends and followers now!

• Diana March 12, 2012 at 10:20 pm · Reply

I didn’t know it existed either. The CCF sounds absolutely amazing, and being such an animal lover, this is definitely something I would LOVE to do! Thank you for helping to spread the word, Bret!

2. nomadwayoflife March 12, 2012 at 2:40 pm · Reply

That sucks. Cheetahs are so cool.

• Diana March 12, 2012 at 10:19 pm · Reply

It does. I am so glad attention and care is being paid to these amazing animals!

3. Laura March 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm · Reply

Oh… how cute!… Big cats. It sucks they are endangered.

• Diana March 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm · Reply

It does suck. It’s so sad.

4. Chris Felton March 14, 2012 at 12:51 am · Reply

We need more people like you in the world Diana! Many people donate to people charities and causes, but not so many do the same for animals. Animals cannot speak for themselves so we must do what’s right!

• Diana March 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm · Reply

I wish I could say this was my experience, but it was Natasha’s. I spent a week volunteering at Elephant Nature Park with rescued elephants from the Thailand tourism industry. But, I agree, people tend to donate to people charities. It is important we don’t forget about those creatures that cannot speak for themselves but need rescue just as much.

5. Chris Felton March 14, 2012 at 12:52 am · Reply

Keep it up!

6. Pete March 14, 2012 at 8:30 am · Reply

When we make it back to Africa, I am definitely going to be doing some volunteering with animals. So awesome!

• Diana March 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm · Reply

I know!! I would LOVE to do this!!

7. Stephanie - The Travel Chica March 15, 2012 at 9:50 am · Reply

I would love to participate in a program like this.

• Diana March 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm · Reply

Me, too!

8. Erica March 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm · Reply

I love the concept of volunteering with animals. I wish we had had more time so that we could have stayed at the Jaguar Rescue Center. LOVE THIS!

• Diana March 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm · Reply

I think we should have a meet-up here, yes? ;)

9. Federico March 15, 2012 at 6:24 pm · Reply

Sounds like good fun, while helping animals which is always a treat.

• Diana March 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm · Reply

Yeah, it sounds like a program that would be really rewarding!

10. Raymond @ Man On The Lam March 15, 2012 at 6:36 pm · Reply

This looks like a great program!

• Diana March 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm · Reply

Doesn’t it? It’s a bit pricey, but if I had the extra funds, I would be there in a heartbeat.

11. Nina F March 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm · Reply

A decrease of 90% of the cheetah population over the past 100 years is appalling. And very sad.

It is a common thread, this conflict between livestock and wild predators. In the western US it is the wolf against the ranchers and their sheep & cattle. Perhaps some western ranchers might eventually come around to this way of thinking, but I am not holding my breath.

I am going to send this link to a group involved with wolves in the US. Perhaps we might all learn something from it.

Thanks for the post.

• Diana March 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm · Reply

It is really sad. Thank you for sharing this post. I hope people can learn from it.

12. Abby March 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm · Reply

That photo of the three cheetahs is amazing. These look awfully like my “spirit guide” I chose with Betina. :)

13. Sebastian @ Off-The-Path.com March 22, 2012 at 5:23 am · Reply

I so want to volunteer soon somewhere… your posts really inspire!!

• Diana March 22, 2012 at 9:43 pm · Reply

Thank you! You should volunteer at ENP while in Thailand!

14. Candice March 23, 2012 at 3:46 pm · Reply

I love everything you’ve been doing for wildlife conservation, D! Amazing stuff.

• Diana March 27, 2012 at 5:10 pm · Reply

Thank you, Candice. It is really important to me that I use this blog to help educate on responsible tourism, not just on cool places to visit and my crazy stories. :)