Escape of the Week: Berlin Art

Written by on February 22, 2012 in Escapes - 34 Comments

Love. Berlin.

It’s no secret I love Berlin. This is the second post I’ve done that features Underground Berlin, and with good reason: there is just so much awesome to be shared. Even if I had a terrible couchsurfing experience, the city wrapped its way around my heart.

The art scene in Berlin fascinates me. From the graffiti to the sculptures to the colorful buildings adorned with twisted takes on pop culture, there is art everywhere.

Covered walls in Tacheles.

Kunsthaus Tacheles, an old department store turned artist enclave in the Mitte neighborhood of Berlin, features both a colorful interior and exterior, along with artist studios.

Even outside of the giant building, there is art to be explored.

But, the art goes beyond Mitte and into every facet of this dynamic city. Neighborhoods all over town echo the culture of the past and present day together.

This is one of my favorites … this work is found in the area where Hitler committed suicide.

Even Knut, the infamous polar bear who captured everyone’s hearts when he was a baby, is included in the telling of stories. This piece shows how he went from adorable baby to bear. Sadly, the beloved animal passed away recently.

Artists took over an entire building in one area, painting murals of people from all over the world. I love the whimsical look of this painting.

Even the buildings tell stories …

The gorgeous art in Berlin goes beyond the paintings though and into structures, too. One of my favorites place when I travel to Berlin is the Holocaust Memorial, which actually has a chemical on it that makes it impossible for would-be graffiti artists to tag these larger than life pillars.

I also love this building, with this half-bust hanging over the entry.

And, who doesn’t love these little guys? They may not be considered art, but to this girl, they are!

Where have you been with amazing art?

Diana Edelman is a travel writer and expat currently residing in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In 2010 she quit her job in PR to go on a solo backpacking adventure and tackle her 30-Life-Crisis. After seven months abroad, journeying throughout Europe and Africa, she returned to America and relocated to Las Vegas. Following a year-long stint back in PR, she once again quit her job to follow her dreams; this time her journey took her to the elephants and Elephant Nature Park where she is involved with raising awareness about responsible elephant tourism. Recently, Diana was named a finalist in the Destinology Travel Bloggy Awards for travel writing. She has been a regular contributor to Viator and recently served as the Las Vegas contributor for OneTravel.com and CheapOair.com. Her work has appeared in print and online, including The Huffington Post, Matador Network, Travel + Escape, Vegas Seven, World Nomads and more.

34 Comments on "Escape of the Week: Berlin Art"

1. adam February 22, 2012 at 7:19 pm · Reply

yesssss! you’ve found some really great graffiti in berlin! i love all the painted buildings – usually former “free” (ie, squat) houses.

and of course, the ampelmann is adorable!

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:36 pm · Reply

Adam, I feel like I need to go back to Berlin and hang out with you and get the insider tour!!

2. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures February 23, 2012 at 1:30 pm · Reply

Love these photos, feeling very inspired!

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm · Reply

Thank you my love!

3. Audrey February 23, 2012 at 3:16 pm · Reply

My appreciation of street art really began with Berlin. Just love walking around and seeing art and murals everywhere one turns. It’s also one of my favorite cities in the world.

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm · Reply

Same with me. I had never taken the time to really learn about street art until I arrived to Berlin. Now, it’s something I want to explore more with each place I visit.

4. Cathy Sweeney February 23, 2012 at 7:05 pm · Reply

I’ll have to search out some of this art next time in Berlin. Amazing city, isn’t it? I did visit the Holocaust Memorial (quite moving) and the East Side Gallery (murals on remnants of the Berlin Wall).

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:33 pm · Reply

Take the Alternative Berlin tour. It is free and takes you to all of the places (or nearly all of them) in my post. I highly recommend the tour.

5. Abby February 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm · Reply

I’ve always wanted to go to Berlin! I’ve been to Germany twice and still haven’t come close. Someday! And I’ll be calling you for advice!

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:32 pm · Reply

Don’t call me for advice. I’ll go with you!!

6. Christy @ Technosyncratic February 24, 2012 at 12:10 am · Reply

You’re making me miss Berlin!!! There’s so much incredible art and graffiti there – everywhere you walk there’s something new to see. :)

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:32 pm · Reply

I really loved my time in Berlin. The weather was pretty bad most days, but in all, the city was so neat.

7. Sophie February 24, 2012 at 5:47 am · Reply

You managed to find some very cool – and varied – street art here. Berlin is so full of surprises around every corner.

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm · Reply

It’s one of my favorites!

8. Ali February 24, 2012 at 9:05 am · Reply

I’ve heard such great things about Berlin but haven’t made it there yet. Now that I live just on the other end of Germany, hopefully I’ll get there soon. Great photos!

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm · Reply

Definitely get there, Ali. Berlin is so cool!!

9. Angela February 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm · Reply

Those paintings are very beautiful. Some of the most amazing street art I saw was in Orgosolo, little town in Sardinia, I had even put the photos together in a post, they have a political background and they are really great works of art.

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm · Reply

The history and stories behind a lot of the art are really fascinating, and nearly all politically charged. It’s something I want to explore more in each city I visit. It really gives you insight into the culture.

10. Pete February 25, 2012 at 9:30 am · Reply

Love street art. I can’t believe I’ve never been to Berlin. It’s VERY high on my places to *get my ass to*

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:29 pm · Reply

Definitely. Get your ass there. Berlin rocks.

11. Rease February 25, 2012 at 6:57 pm · Reply

I LOVE great street art. I need to see Berlin. Every time I see photos from someone’s Berlin trip, I am amazed. The street art in BUenos Aires is pretty cool too.

• Diana February 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm · Reply

I’m such a fan of street art. It really is so cool to see the creativity and work! Berlin is one of my favorite cities. Def worth a trip.

12. Stephanie - The Travel Chica February 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm · Reply

I never get tired of looking at street art photos from around the world. I’m a huge fan of the street art in Bogota, Buenos Aires, and Valparaiso, but I’ve also seen a lot of great stuff in the smaller towns in Chile and Argentina too.

• Diana February 26, 2012 at 10:56 pm · Reply

Me neither!! :)

13. Jade - OurOyster.com February 27, 2012 at 6:20 am · Reply

Berlin is such an amazing city!! I would love to spend some extended time there!

• Diana February 29, 2012 at 1:50 am · Reply

You and me both!!

14. Nomadic Samuel February 27, 2012 at 6:14 pm · Reply

Very cool street art D!

• Diana February 29, 2012 at 1:49 am · Reply

Berlin has such a cool scene!!

15. Bret @ Green Global Travel March 1, 2012 at 8:00 am · Reply

I’ll take good street art over fine art almost any day. love the murals on the sides of the buildings.

16. Andrew March 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm · Reply

I’ve only been to Berlin once in the past few years, but I am happy that I actually recognized a bunch of these places. I love that you added the street-crosser guys as Berlin Art. It SO fits.

• Diana March 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm · Reply

Haha, I thought so, too!! Those street-crosser guys rock! Glad you recognized these spots!!

17. Bobbi Lee Hitchon March 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm · Reply

Honestly, I think you are my soul mate. I visited Tacheles on my first backpacking trip and was absolutely mesmerized by it. I couldn’t remember the name when I returned home and would sound nuts trying to describe it to people. Berlin is such an amazing city. You definitely captured its funky side in this post. Thanks for sharing this. It brings back great memories.

• Diana March 5, 2012 at 7:15 pm · Reply

Awww, Bobbi! I love it!! Isn’t Berlin awesome?!!?!