Escape of the Week: Juxtaposition in Sarajevo

Written by on August 24, 2011 in Bosnia/Hercegovina, Escapes, Europe - 18 Comments

It’s been one year since I was in Sarajevo, a city I fell in love with. The charm of the city. It’s heart-breaking past and triumph of recovery left me overcome with emotion. For a week, I wandered the city streets, crossing over the river, walking past the destroyed National Library, meandering between the European and Turkish buildings, sipping the strong coffee …

While I was there, I visited the airport where an underground tunnel funneled supplies to the Sarajevo troops fighting to maintain a hold on their city. Like the rest of the city, this part of the town was riddled with pockmarks, untold struggles from the war.

This photo is one of my favorites from Sarajevo. To me, it shows that, even with a dark past, beauty and life can flourish.

Diana Edelman is a travel writer and expat currently residing in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In 2010 she quit her job in PR to go on a solo backpacking adventure and tackle her 30-Life-Crisis. After seven months abroad, journeying throughout Europe and Africa, she returned to America and relocated to Las Vegas. Following a year-long stint back in PR, she once again quit her job to follow her dreams; this time her journey took her to the elephants and Elephant Nature Park where she is involved with raising awareness about responsible elephant tourism. Recently, Diana was named a finalist in the Destinology Travel Bloggy Awards for travel writing. She has been a regular contributor to Viator and recently served as the Las Vegas contributor for OneTravel.com and CheapOair.com. Her work has appeared in print and online, including The Huffington Post, Matador Network, Travel + Escape, Vegas Seven, World Nomads and more.

18 Comments on "Escape of the Week: Juxtaposition in Sarajevo"

1. Abby August 25, 2011 at 7:37 am · Reply

I think that’s my favorite photo of yours. It’s absolutely beautiful. And I love what you wrote about it, too. Beauty can always flourish, if we just let it!

• The Adventures of D August 25, 2011 at 11:35 am · Reply

Thanks babe!! I have so many like this from the entire country. It is a strange thing to see war so well-preserved.

• Hogg September 8, 2011 at 6:11 am · Reply

You really do have a specific eye – you have your own style. I think it’s a fantastic photo as well.

2. Zeke Quezada August 25, 2011 at 11:52 am · Reply

You kill me with your talent! I love the emotion. I love the message.

3. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures August 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm · Reply

I agree 110% with what Abby said!

4. Federico August 28, 2011 at 8:38 pm · Reply

I was also struck by Sarajevo’s beauty. A great shot that depicts a great city!

• The Adventures of D August 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm · Reply

Thank you! Sarajevo is one of the most compelling cities I have ever visited. :)

5. Candice August 30, 2011 at 5:04 am · Reply

I love love homes like these. I want to explore every single one of them.

• The Adventures of D August 31, 2011 at 2:54 am · Reply

Me too! We still need to plan a trip together, my kindred travel friend. :)

6. Stephanie - The Travel Chica August 30, 2011 at 7:09 pm · Reply

Great photo! I am always so happy when I can capture a shot that also captures how I felt about a place.

• The Adventures of D August 31, 2011 at 2:53 am · Reply

Thank you! I loved Sarajevo and Bosnia-Herzegovina so much. I took heaps of photos.

7. Erica September 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm · Reply

The contrasts here between the flowers and the bullet holes are awesome. Great capture – I want to visit there so badly.

8. Margo September 3, 2011 at 11:36 am · Reply

Aww, I love that too. Always enjoy those moments when you find something small and special that sum up what a place is all about. Beautiful!