A BRIEF intermission: I quit

Written by on January 19, 2010 in 30 Life Crisis, Blog, Travel - 33 Comments

For months, since laying on the beach in Croatia, I have dreamt of quitting my job. Of fulfilling my dreams of traveling and documenting my experiences.

Now, it is O-F-F-I-C-I-A-L. I handed in my letter of resignation today. And, it went remarkably well.

Wednesday, Feb. 3 is my last day of work.

The wave of relief, the smile on my face, ahhhhh. I wouldn’t trade it.

Look out World, D is coming for ya.

33 Comments on " A BRIEF intermission: I quit "

1. Patrick Gensel January 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm · Reply

Congratz, i dream of doing the same one day, i blog about the outdoors, climbing, hiking, and travel as well, and would love to do it for a living. i wish you well in your travels.

Patrick

2. Caleb January 19, 2010 at 5:04 pm · Reply

Congrats! I bet it’s nice to finally take that weight off.

3. Adam January 19, 2010 at 7:44 pm · Reply

Congrats!

Can’t wait for my quitting day either. When do you start traveling?

4. Chris - The Aussie Nomad January 19, 2010 at 10:58 pm · Reply

That’s awesome D. Now can I borrow your resignation letter to use next week :)

• dtravelsround January 20, 2010 at 2:39 pm · Reply

Dear Work,
      After much thought and consideration, I have made the difficult decision to resign, effective Jan. 31. After that time, I will be traveling the world, raising my middle finger to the corporate world indefinitely.
      I am thankful for the experience I have had with this company and wish you continued success.
      Thanks so much.
      Sincerely,
      The Aussie Nomad

5. T-roy January 20, 2010 at 2:08 am · Reply

F*cking A!!!! I’m so happy for you and can’t wait to start reading more about your new travels. What is the travel plan for 2010?

• dtravelsround January 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm · Reply

Thanks! Travel plan for 2010 so far:
      March 8- London
      mid March – mid April or beyond- Morocco
      Back up to Portugal to catch my friend’s band play a festival, then Spain, France, Germany, Italy, ferry over to Greece, Istanbul, up the Adriatic, Budapest, end up in Croatia for a month or so … ticket home is late September, but can change it if I still have money :)

6. King Pigeon January 20, 2010 at 5:35 pm · Reply

Bravo! :-)

• dtravelsround January 20, 2010 at 10:55 pm · Reply

Thank you!!! :) See you in Croatia. Oh, Karen and Florian are meeting us there.

7. Shannon OD January 20, 2010 at 11:41 pm · Reply

Big congrats on making that bold move!! Can’t wait to start reading your journey when you head out :-)

• dtravelsround January 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm · Reply

Thank you! :) I can’t wait to write about it.

8. Nomadic Chick January 21, 2010 at 12:22 pm · Reply

I’m sure late to this party, but congrats!!! I can’t wait for that day. In fact, my mind has already checked out. :)

• dtravelsround January 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm · Reply

Ha! Thanks for the note! I cannot wait to get on out and start living!

9. Lindsay Hogg January 26, 2010 at 1:19 pm · Reply

Congrats “D”!!!!!
    Isn’t it the most freeing feeling when you give your notice? I yelled all the way home from work that day in the car! haha Good luck with your travels, your trip sounds like it is going to be amazing!

Keep us updated!

Lindsay
    (@_TheTravelelr_)

• dtravelsround January 26, 2010 at 5:02 pm · Reply

Oh my goodness. It felt great! A huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders the moment I handed in my letter of resignation. Will def keep you updated!!

10. Mary Thompson January 28, 2010 at 1:29 am · Reply

CONGRATS!! Seriously, that is so great. This is going to be good!

11. Doug January 28, 2010 at 5:34 am · Reply

Wow. What a step! Looking forward to following your progress. First time vistor here.

• dtravelsround January 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm · Reply

Welcome! Glad you stopped in! Thanks for the note.

12. Ayngelina January 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm · Reply

As soon as I returned to work in January I couldn’t wait to tell them I was leaving so I gave them 10 weeks notice. And even though I still have 6 more weeks of work it lifted a huge weight off my shoulders.

Although I am jealous, I’d love to be starting next week!

• dtravelsround January 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm · Reply

Oh goodness!! You gave them 10 weeks?!? And they let you stay? WOW. Bless your heart. My mind would be so checked out! Six weeks will FLY BY!!! I’ve got about the same until I head out for my adventure.

13. Scott February 3, 2010 at 9:15 am · Reply

Awesome!! Best of luck to you!

14. Kelsey February 3, 2010 at 9:54 am · Reply

Isn’t it such a great feeling?

• dtravelsround February 4, 2010 at 11:54 pm · Reply

Ridculously. Welcome, “funemployment.”

15. Garrett February 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm · Reply

It’s on! D, get those walking shoes ready – you’re going to need ‘em.

#RTWsoon will soon be #RTWnow ;)

• dtravelsround February 4, 2010 at 11:54 pm · Reply

Heck yeah!! :) Shoes are already packed!!

16. Ron | Active Planet Travels October 29, 2012 at 9:17 am · Reply

Congrats D! I’m hoping my day is soon to come!

• Diana October 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm · Reply

Do it!!! And, thank you!

Trackbacks for this post

1. Rerunaround » Blog Archive » Week Sauce: Now In HD!
  2. 10 Things Traveling Solo Taught Me About Life | Thought Catalog