Daily Wanderlust: Elephants!

Written by on August 2, 2012 in Destinations - 13 Comments

Apologies for the slacking of the “Daily Wanderlust” for a bit. I’ve been adjusting to life as an expat in Chiang Mai, so it’s been hard to keep these coming at the same rate I was.

To prepare you for what upcoming posts can include, wanted to go ahead and toss this little photo out.

It was taken at Elephant Nature Park the other day … while I was working. Yeah, my job pretty much rocks. This is a photo of two elephants, best friends, and one of their mahouts.

A mahout looks over two elephants at Elephant Nature Park

13 Comments on " Daily Wanderlust: Elephants! "

1. Julia August 2, 2012 at 4:06 am · Reply

I cannot believe this is your job now! So ridiculously cool. I would love to do any kind of job working with animals, just because they are so much nicer to work with than bitchy, competitive people and they truly do give back love. I also find myself feeling so much calmer and appreciate life more when I’m around animals – may sound corny, but it’s true!

• Diana August 2, 2012 at 4:29 am · Reply

Well … my job isn’t really working WITH the elephants, but I get to see them, pet them, love them and spend time with them pretty regularly. I am working with Save Elephant Foundation helping out with PR, social media and writing. And, you are right, it is much nicer working with animals than people. Although, I think Lek, who runs the foundation, is one of the most remarkable and amazing people I have ever known. Definitely makes what I am doing worth it.

2. Erica August 2, 2012 at 11:05 am · Reply

EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee!

I want to hug one. Help us get to Thailand. :P

• Diana August 3, 2012 at 1:10 am · Reply

I will wave my magic wand right … now!

3. Laurie August 2, 2012 at 11:34 am · Reply

I will be in Chaing Mai for a month in October and will be volunteering at the Elephant Nature Park. I fell in love with the Elephants when I visited in April. Can’t wait to feed, bathe and just hang with these adorably amazing creatures.

• Diana August 3, 2012 at 1:10 am · Reply

So exciting!!! Definitely drop me a line when you come!

4. Laura August 3, 2012 at 9:31 am · Reply

Perhaps it’s because I haven’t looked hard enough but I would love to read stories about the mahouts and if they feel called to their roles or if it’s just a job to them.

5. London4Travelers August 5, 2012 at 11:25 am · Reply

Two elephants look perfectly on black and white photo. Great adventure!

• Diana August 5, 2012 at 11:26 pm · Reply

Thank you!

6. Britany August 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm · Reply

LOVE this! Your job rocks :)

• Diana August 8, 2012 at 2:55 am · Reply

It is really awesome!! Especially the fact that I work with such amazing people. Makes it easy to love what I do.

7. Susan @ Travel Junkette August 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm · Reply

WOW! Can’t believe you are actually working there. That is amazing. I love elephants.. so much. I did the mahout camp at the Thai Elephant Sanctuary in Lampang when I was in Thailand. I’d really like to go back soon!

• Diana August 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm · Reply

It is an amazing thing to spend time with the elephants somewhat regularly! If you come back, spend time at Elephant Nature Park. We don’t use bull hooks and the elephants are able to be free.