Daily Wanderlust: Tarifa, Spain

Written by on March 26, 2012 in Destinations - 6 Comments

Tarifa, Spain. The sign at the edge of the beach says: “the southest town in Europe.”

The way the wind whips my hair and pushes the crashing surf, it definitely seems like a dramatic point on the continent.

This little beach town is the place where the Atlantic Ocean crashes into the Mediterranean, and where the narrow Strait of Gibraltar carries people from Europe to Africa.

My favorite part about Tarifa, other than the quiet beaches? Being able to see Africa across the water. Shortly after this photo was taken, I boarded the ferry to Tangier, which would lead me to the land of one-thousand welcomes and the marvelous colors of Chefchaouen.

6 Comments on " Daily Wanderlust: Tarifa, Spain "

1. Christine March 27, 2012 at 3:35 am · Reply

When were you here? That’s right where I live!

• Diana March 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm · Reply

Awwww! I was there in June 2010. Seems like an entire lifetime ago!

2. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures March 27, 2012 at 7:46 am · Reply

How cool to see another continent from across the ocean!

• Diana March 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm · Reply

It was soooo cool! There is something so magical about standing in Spain and seeing Africa a few miles away!

3. Jen June 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm · Reply

Hi I love your post on Tarifa,I found it on Lonely Planet. I have recently moved to that area from London and I had a surfing weekend there recently, I’ll be visiting lots I’m sure. I also went backpacking for a few months, it was the best year ever :)

• Diana June 12, 2012 at 11:22 am · Reply

Thank you for stopping by! Tarifa is gorgeous, isn’t it? Enjoy your travels!