Escape of the Week: Radovljica, Slovenia

Written by on December 20, 2011 in Destinations, Guest Posts - 20 Comments

Editor’s Note: This is a guest post from Dayna at Wanderlusting. Do you have an Escape of the Week you’d like to contribute? Let me know! Dtravelsround [at] gmail [dot] com. Your Escape could be the next Escape!

I expected to enjoy Slovenia.  A year ago, I looked up photos and videos of Lake Bled, the Julian Alps, and Ljubljana, excited for the ‘someday’ when I would get there.  What I did NOT expect, however, was to fall completely head over heels in love with Slovenia.  In terms of rugged beauty, medieval old towns, and that nagging sense that visitors feel — that they are walking inside of a postcard — it rivals any and all of Europe’s better known destinations.

My guidebook told me to go see nearby (and virtually unheard of) Radovljica for the bee museum, which didn’t really sound that appealing to me, but my cousin insisted I pay the town a visit.  I am so glad I did. It may not have the tourist draw that Bled and Bohinj do, but it is absolutely perfect for an afternoon of unguided strolling, people watching and getting off the beaten path a bit.

The journey to Radovljica from Bled is as valuable as visiting the town itself, especially in the autumn.  Traditional Slovenian houses, fields and forests of every color and the surrounding Alps make it a visual treat.

After peeking around a few corners, I was greeted by a restored and wonderful Old Town dating back to medieval times, locally dubbed Linhartov Trg.  Being a coffee lover, I was impressed by the sheer amount of cafes in their small town square.  On Sundays, as in most of Slovenia, this is the place where locals take a stroll to see their neighbors and
friends.

The streets are immaculately kept, as are the buildings themselves.  Every corner, it seems, is more inviting than the last.  Hanging flower baskets and small orchards are common once you venture a few blocks away from Linhartov Trg.

As with most small Slovene towns, the focal point and highlight is its beautiful, Gothic church.  The Parish Church of Saint Peter sits patiently on a hilltop overlooking the dense forest, and dates back to the 14th century.

While visitors aren’t allowed inside, they are welcome to explore the grounds, the neighboring parish and take a peek through the church doors at the incredible architecture and ceiling murals.

The best gifts Radovljica has to offer are the many incredible vistas of Mount Triglav and the surrounding Alps, the Sava River and the glimpse at everyday life that is best enjoyed away from the crowds.

Getting There: Slovenia’s biggest tourist attraction in its own right is Lake Bled which is only 5 kilometers away from Radovljica.  Buses leave from Bled’s main bus station every half hour, and return just as frequently.

Have you visited Slovenia? What city stood out the most for you?

About the Author: Dayna was raised in Washington State and studied International Studies and Global Development at the University of Idaho, where her interests led her to further explore Islam and the West and African Development.  At the tender age of five, she held up an inflatable globe from National Geographic and declared that she would conquer the world and collect whales.  She is also a seasoned singer/songwriter, hula hoop dancer, poi spinner, coffee enthusiast and avid lover of travel and useless trivia. Follow her on Twitter; Like Wanderlusting on Facebook.

20 Comments on " Escape of the Week: Radovljica, Slovenia "

1. Sophie December 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm · Reply

A long time ago, when it was still called Yugoslavia, I was in a little fishing village called Piran. Absolutely adorable; been meaning to return. I’ve also wanted to see Ljubljana ever since reading Veronika Decides to Die. Next year…

• The Adventures of D December 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm · Reply

I have heard great things about that book. I need to read it!

2. Ali December 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm · Reply

I haven’t been, but I really want to go to Slovenia soon!

3. Andrea December 22, 2011 at 8:09 am · Reply

Gorgeous! We only got to Ljubljana and I’m dying to get back and see parts like this

4. Dayna December 22, 2011 at 12:04 pm · Reply

Sophie – I can’t wait to get to Piran, I had to miss that this trip!

Ali – you should definitely go!!

Andrea – you will enjoy it when you get there, it is mind boggling!

5. Sherry December 22, 2011 at 12:44 pm · Reply

I never really had any desire to go here. But the fact that it looks so colorful and the landscapes so beautiful makes me want to change my mind. I really appreciate that the photos are from the fall – my favorite time of the year since they world seems the most beautiful.

• The Adventures of D December 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm · Reply

I have heard such wonderful things about Slovenia. This post makes me want to go, too!

6. Rease December 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm · Reply

Wow, these are incredible! I love the colors and cleanliness of this town. I want to go!

• The Adventures of D December 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm · Reply

Me too!! I’m thinking next year. I want to see Slovenia in the fall with those autumn colors.

7. Pete Heck December 23, 2011 at 4:19 am · Reply

We felt the exact same way, love at first steps. And it’s nice to see Slovenia with Blue sky :) All we got to see was foggy landscapes, but they were just as beautiful. If all goes right, we might be settled there next year.

• The Adventures of D December 23, 2011 at 1:55 pm · Reply

I hope you are settled there next year! Then, I can come and visit!! ;)

8. Tara December 23, 2011 at 11:20 am · Reply

Hello
    I have just read Veronika Decides to Die, had no idea it was set in Slovenia!
    Well, I am from Slovenia and living in London at the moment, and I must say that being away from it I find it even prettier :)
    Anyway, lovely to read such positive critique and if you need any advice don’t hesitate to drop me a line.
    tara

• The Adventures of D December 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm · Reply

Thank you, Tara! When I begin to plan my Slovenia visit I will definitely be sure to message you! :)

9. Bohemian Trails December 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm · Reply

I recently went to a dinner hosted by the Slovenian Tourism board and I was really impressed with all the photos they were showing us – I really didn’t know too much about the country until now. Thanks for this!

10. Dayna December 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm · Reply

So glad everyone enjoyed it! I really can’t recommend Slovenia enough, and I’m counting the days til I can return!

11. Anji January 2, 2012 at 11:48 am · Reply

Your pictures depict such a local Slovania! I find it surprising yet lovely how people can still live so detached from technology and the urban life! Wish we urbanites could be like that!

• Diana January 2, 2012 at 8:04 pm · Reply

Me, too!

• Mojca October 21, 2013 at 2:47 am · Reply

I don’t know, if I would say they are “detached from technology “. After all, every house has usually computer with internet connection (74% of households in Slovenia has internet connections according to statistic), every person owns smart phone. Every household has dishwasher, freezer, washing machine, TV …
      We (me :) ) just choose to have hens and a garden and some downtime too. If you have stressfull job, what is better then get dirty hands when you get home. You usually benefit from all that mess with home grown tomatoes, strawberries, carrots and eggs, with something you made for yourself and it fills you with such a pride, what are you capable to achieve.
      New is fine, but tradition is also important. Internet is fine, but neighbours will help you, when your in need. ;)