Escape of the Week: The Dead Sea

Written by on October 25, 2011 in Escapes, Travel - 15 Comments

I love Israel. I have loved Israel since the moment I visited, on a Birthright program in spring 2001.

I remember my time there very clearly. Clashes had just started breaking out between Israelis and Palestinians, and I was really scared to go visit the country.

But, I did.

For 10 days, my group of about 25 people visited many places in the country, including the Dead Sea. In a bullet-proof bus (due the recent violence), and with two body guards at our sides, we drove from Jerusalem to the Sea.

I remember taking it in — the magnificent swirls of the water in bright blues and greens. I remember dipping my toes in. And, I remember floating in mere inches of the warm water.

Now, the Dead Sea is up for one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.

I didn’t take this photo, but I wanted to share the beauty of the Dead Sea with you. If you’ve ever been there, please share you experiences below!

AND, please take a moment and vote for The Dead Sea to be included as one of the new seven wonders of the world.

Don’t forget to head over to the Facebook page to show your support, too!

Photo Courtesy Israel Ministry of Tourism

Diana Edelman is a travel writer and expat currently residing in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In 2010 she quit her job in PR to go on a solo backpacking adventure and tackle her 30-Life-Crisis. After seven months abroad, journeying throughout Europe and Africa, she returned to America and relocated to Las Vegas. Following a year-long stint back in PR, she once again quit her job to follow her dreams; this time her journey took her to the elephants and Elephant Nature Park where she is involved with raising awareness about responsible elephant tourism. Recently, Diana was named a finalist in the Destinology Travel Bloggy Awards for travel writing. She has been a regular contributor to Viator and recently served as the Las Vegas contributor for OneTravel.com and CheapOair.com. Her work has appeared in print and online, including The Huffington Post, Matador Network, Travel + Escape, Vegas Seven, World Nomads and more.

15 Comments on "Escape of the Week: The Dead Sea"

1. JoAnna October 26, 2011 at 9:18 am · Reply

What an awesome picture! I would love to visit the Dead Sea some day!

• The Adventures of D October 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm · Reply

It is really cool to visit!! Just be sure you don’t have any cuts on you. That salt water STINGS!!

2. Katrina October 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm · Reply

I have to admit, my biggest draw comes from science geekery. I am curious about how easy is to float there. :D

3. jade October 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm · Reply

Agree with Joanna- I would love to visit and I love your photo!

• The Adventures of D October 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm · Reply

Thanks! It isn’t my photo, it’s from the Ministry of Tourism, but it is pretty!! And, Israel is definitely a place to visit. The past, the present … they mingle in such fascinating ways.

4. michael October 27, 2011 at 5:11 am · Reply

I’v been there with friends few month ago, celebratring trip/stag party for 3 days. we were all ansusiastic one of as is geting married so decide celebrate small trip with a car, alcohol, nice weather, good music and dead sea :)

• The Adventures of D October 27, 2011 at 9:46 pm · Reply

Sounds like a perfect trip!! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

5. Cunard October 27, 2011 at 5:28 am · Reply

What a lovely picture. Agree with both Joanna and Jade. I would really love to visit the Dead Sea sometime.

6. Barb the French Bean October 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm · Reply

That is absolutely gorgeous. Truly. I had a friend who canceled a trip to Israel because of the violence, but I would like to visit someday. :)

• The Adventures of D October 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm · Reply

Israel is a magnificent country. It is a shame your friend canceled because of the violence. Definitely take time to visit Israel one day. It is one of my favorites. I can’t wait to go back and explore!

7. Travelista October 27, 2011 at 11:33 pm · Reply

That looks so beautiful!! I’ve heard that places like Tel Aviv are fine to visit. It’s down in the south towards Gaza where it gets sketchy. I wonder if that’s still the case. I’d love to go there some day for sure!

• The Adventures of D October 28, 2011 at 12:24 am · Reply

I’m a firm believer in going to Israel, despite what has happened in the past, and what may still happen. I feel, like with any country, so long as you are informed, you are as safe as you are at home.

8. Heather October 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm · Reply

I went to the dead sea in 2010 and I absolutely loved it! I wrote about it here http://heathersharmony.typepad.com/heathers-harmony/2011/09/finish-dead-sea-day-1-favorite-places-youve-been-to.html

• The Adventures of D October 31, 2011 at 12:59 am · Reply

It is such a cool place! I will check out your post! Thank you for sharing. :)